Monday, October 21, 2013

Early Intervention

I have wanted to write something about early intervention for a long time now. Ozzy had his first assessment at age 2 1/2.We had to see the dev ped every six months, and now, once a year.We came in for his speech delay and he was observed to be hyper-active. When we started looking at therapy we realized how expensive it was going to be. With the apparent cost alone, we could have just ignored the problem. Many suggested to wait for him to grow up and maybe, later on, the problem will go away.

This is what I looked like before Ozzy had therapy sessions....

Everything was a stand off. I didn't know what was going on. the worst feeling was that I couldn't understand why my son was so disconnected to me. When I used to bring Ozzy to his therapy center, I recognized this same look in another mother's face. Perplexed at their kid. Have you seen your mother look at you that way? Do you realize how that look feels like? Can you imagine what it does to your spirit when you keep getting them? It was the look of disappointment.

Things get better after therapy. I caught a therapist saying, "mukhang nag-iimprove naman si *name*. Tingnan mo si mommy naka ngiti na." 

To see that alone is a grace from God. I am sharing this because I want to share this grace with you and if early intervention is necessary go ahead and take the plunge. It takes lot of hard work and personal acceptance.

Here's our relationship now...

I think I shall leave the planet a better place. 

2 comments:

  1. So proud of you, sis. I'm sure this took a lot of hard work and patience. Other parents might have given up or, worse, hurt their child due to frustration. Cheers to u and congratulations on making the world a great place for Ozzy.

    ReplyDelete